Holy guacamole! Do I have your attention now? I’m here to let you know about my easy 5-minute basic guacamole recipe. Yes, I’m sure you have seen dozens, even thousands, of guacamole recipes claiming to be the best or the easiest. But I promise that in just 5 minutes, you can whip up this simple guacamole recipe and people will be asking where you ordered it from.
Simplicity is key in a good guacamole. Some people like to get fancy and add jalapeño to spice it up, or add lime juice to make it tangier. I’m not a fan of either of those for my guacamole. Overall, my easy 5-minute basic guacamole recipe is the right blend of ingredients so the avocados remain the prominent element.
Easy 5-Minute Basic Guacamole Ingredients
- ground cumin
- garlic powder
- onion powder or you can use real onion
- sea salt
- ground pepper
- lime juice
- chopped fresh cilantro
How To Make My Basic Guacamole
First, let me just say I have read multiple recipes for guacamole and it’s suggested that the guacamole should sit for about 20-30 minutes before serving so the flavors have a chance to blend together. But, let’s be honest, I cant help myself from digging in right away. So the decision to dig in or let it sit will be at your discretion.
- Mash the avocados with a fork or masher.
- Add the lime juice and spices and mix well.
- Add the chopped cilantro, tomatoes and onion. Stir to combine.
- Serve with with chips, use as a spread, or top off some tacos!
Tip to stop the guac from browning
To stop the guacamole from turning brown, you can do either one of the following: store the guacamole in an airtight container with plastic wrap or spray some lime juice in a thin layer on top and place the avocado pit in the container. Also, make sure to store the guacamole in the fridge because warm air will make the guacamole brown quicker.
Check out my Zucchini chips recipe you can make in just 20 minutes!
Easy 5-Minute Basic Guacamole
- 3 avocados
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 2 small tomatoes diced and deseeded
- optional onion powder or real onion
- Spoon out avocados in a bowl. Remove the pit and skin and throw away.
- Use a fork or masher to gently mash the avocados leaving them a little bit chunky.
- Add the spices and lime juice. Stir well to combine.
- Add chopped cilantro, tomatoes and onion. Mix well.
- Add extra sale or lime juice as needed.
- Optional: let guacamole sit for about 30 minutes or dig right in!