This quarantine has really taken its toll on my eating lately. My weekly trips to the grocery store have included Ben & Jerry’s ice cream pints, burger patties and bags of chips. As I finished off my last bag of chips, I decided I needed to cut back. I needed to find healthier snacks and I needed to stop going into the fridge so much!
I was wracking my brain to figure out what would give me the same satisfying feeling as chips. I finally decided on zucchini. I decided I was going to make this healthy snack work for me. I decided this zucchini is going to give me the same taste, crunchiness of my chips.
While nothing will ever taste as good as potato chips, zucchini chips were a good alternative – and definitely better for me! They were made by cutting the zucchini into coins, dipping in milk, coating with breadcrumbs, spices and parmesan cheese and then cooked in the oven. The outcome is a crispy zucchini chip bursting flavor.
Note: A tip when making these chips, make sure you cut your zucchini into thin slices. If they are too thick, you won’t get the desired crunchiness.
If you make these zucchini chips, please let me know! You can find me on Instagram @thathangrygurl.
- 1 zucchini cut into ⅛" slices
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 3 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, pepper, salt, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
- Dip zucchini into milk and then coat both sides in the breadcrumb mix. Make sure the crumbs actually stick to the zucchini.
- Arrange zucchini onto the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely before storing in an airtight container. **Note: the zucchini will get crispier while cooling.