Love is in the air. Well, at least that's how I'm feeling right now. Every store has aisles filled with Valentine's Day decor and candy. I know some people love this holiday and they splurge on the one day to celebrate love and affection. But with the pandemic and all, going out for Valentine's Day is looking a little bit different this year. It may be impossible to plan an extravagant night out. So I suggest making these heart shape mini pizzas at home!
I know you're probably saying to yourself, 'Why would I want to stay home when that's all I've been doing?" Well, for starters, it will continue to keep you safe from Covid. Second, making these heart pizzas is a fun date night activity. Now, I know you could probably just order a pizza, but where's the fun in that? The amount of bonding time you can get with your date while making these pizzas and enjoying some wine or one my cocktails, is so great!
If you have ever made homemade pizza's before, then you know it's a pretty easy process. Lay out the crust, top with the sauce and toppings, then cook. These heart shape mini pizzas take a few extra steps though. You need to cut the dough into mini heart shapes and you could do the same with the pepperoni slices. I cut the pepperoni slices purely for the Valentine's Day aesthetic, so don't feel like you have to. Although they are more picture worthy with the cute pepperoni hearts.
For this recipe, you should use heart cut outs to make sure your hearts look like hearts. If you are in need of a heart cut-out, you should use the ones I bought. The Wilton Double Cut-Outs comes with six different sizes. The double edges make for a fun crinkle effect if you don't want straight edge.
Heart Shape Mini Pizzas
- Heart Shape Cookie Cutters - I used Wilton's Double Cut-Out Set of 6 (linked above)
- pizza dough I used Pillsbury classic crust
- 14 oz pizza sauce
- 8 oz mozzarella shredded cheese
- 6 oz pepperoni slices
- flour for the cutting board for the cutting of the dough
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Let the dough sit out for 30 minutes to come to room temperature.
- Use the smallest heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out the pepperonis.
- Sprinkle your surface with some flour.
- Place the pizza dough on top and use the biggest shaped cookie cutter to cut out the dough.
- Place some sauce in the middle of each crust. Use the back of the spoon to spread it around the entire surface.
- Top with cheese and pepperonis.
- Bake in the oven for 5-7 minutes the cheese is just beginning to turn brown.