Chocolate lovers, beware! I think I may have found your new favorite dessert with Mocha brownie trifles. Made with soft brownies, layered between mocha chocolate cream and topped with whipped cream, these delectable treats are simple to make and delicious to enjoy.
There is a secret ingredient in these mocha brownies trifles. The secret ingredient is the KEY to amplifying the flavors in the chocolate. Kick up the chocolate taste, and the result will be a very rich flavor dessert.
Drumroll for the secret ingredient, it's COFFEE! I brewed a cup from my Ninja coffee brewer and mixed it in with the chocolate chips over a double boiler. Melting the coffee and chocolate together will give you that mocha flavor.
Mixing the cream for Mocha Brownie Trifles
In recipes that call for heavy whipping cream, you may have seen the word 'peaks'. Peaks refers to the ridges you see on the surface of your mixture when you lift your whisk up. The key to differentiating between soft, medium/firm and stiff peaks is in the shape/structure of those peaks.
For example, this mocha brownie recipe calls for soft peaks. That means as you whip your mixture, you’ll see it start to thicken and become smooth, leaving trails in the mixture. See the picture below for an example of hta soft peaks look like.
Layering the Trifles
Traditional trifles are usually made with fruit, a thin layer of sponge fingers soaked in sherry or another wine, and custard. But many varieties exist and some eliminate the fruit entirely and use other ingredients like chocolate, coffee and vanilla. I chose to layer my trifles with cream and brownies because in every bite you get the amazing flavors of mocha, chocolate and brownie. I mean, come on! Just look at the layers on the spoon, that is a perfect bite.
If you're looking for more chocolate desserts, check out my Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies and Oreo Cheesecake . Let me know how you like these mocha brownie trifles by leaving me a comment or DM on instagram at @thathangrygurl
Mocha Brownie Trifles
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- ¼ cup black coffee freshly brewed
- 1 box brownies cut into small cubes
- Whip heavy cream using an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Refrigerate while you melt the chocolate.
- Add chocolate chips and coffee to a double boiler and heat. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside until the chocolate mix comes to room temperature.
- Cut brownies into cubes
- Fold the chocolate mix into the whipped cream until well combined.
- Spoon chocolate mixture into 6 mason jars layering with brownie chunks. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and a brownie square.
- Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or until ready to serve.