Fajitas are always a good choice when ordering Mexican food. But sometimes they can leave you feeling very heavy. My favorite thing to do with any type of food lately is to make it into a bowl.
These Chicken Fajita Quinoa bowls are a healthy, filling option to switch up your "Taco Tuesday". This recipe can also double as meal prep - which is a major win! It only requires 6 ingredients and 20 minutes to assemble. One tip for this recipe - add the avocado right before you eat it to eliminate the avocado from turning brown.
If you make these Chicken Fajita Quinoa Bowls, please let me know! Leave a comment or tag me on Instagram @thathangrygurl.
Chicken Fajita Quinoa Bowl
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 green bell peppers
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 1 cup quinoa
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- fajita seasoning packet
- salt to taste
- 2 avocados
- lime wedges
- Add half the fajita seasoning, minced garlic, 2 tablespoon lime juice, and ½ teaspoon salt to the chicken. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add the chicken. Cook for 10-12 minutes till the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken to a plate. Add onions and bell peppers to the pan. Add the remaining fajita seasoning and sauté for 3-4 minutes on high heat.
- Meanwhile, start cooking the quinoa. Add quinoa, 2 cups water, and ¼ teaspoon salt to a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Simmer and cook for 15 minutes till the quinoa is cooked through and soft and fluffy.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, add lime juice, cilantro and mix together.
- Lastly, assemble the chicken fajita bowls. Divide quinoa into a bowl. Divide the chicken and peppers on top. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!