Cookies and cocktails is the theme around Christmastime. It's like calories don't exist until we all start our New Years resolutions and "New Year, New Me" fitness journeys. It's the same tune we play every year. I know I don't take that indulgent time for granted and neither should you. The holidays should be a time to enjoy that cookie that you resist the other days of the year. Or enjoy that dessert cocktail that is nothing but chocolate, sugar-y goodness. Enjoy my Christmas Peppermint Mudslide this year. It's the perfect comforting cocktail.
Don't know what a mudslide is? A mudslide is essentially a boozy milkshake that is sweet and creamy. It was made popular by chain restaurants, like TGI Friday's. But most mudslide recipes are drowned in ice cream and served in a big glass, which will equal your calorie intake for the day. My peppermint mudslide recipe is a bit more refined and focuses on the flavors of chocolate and peppermint, rather than the dairy and high sugar from ice cream.
What's in a Christmas Peppermint Mudslide?
- almond milk
- peppermint schnapps
- heavy cream
- cocoa powder
- chocolate syrup
- Optional toppings: crushed candy canes, whipped cream
Mudslides are best enjoyed as a dessert cocktail. Either after dinner or whenever you have a sweet tooth. I recommend using heavy cream instead of regular milk/half-and-half because it wont yield the same thickness of the cocktail. I chose to use schnapps in this recipe. You can use peppermint vodka if you'd like, but for me, the vodka was a little overpowering and didn't seem to blend well with the cream and Baileys.
Follow along my food journey on Instagram @thathangrygurl. More Christmas recipes are available under recipes, but here are a few of my favorites:
- Winter Holiday Sangria
- Santa's Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Italian Lemon Drop Cookies
- Gingerbread White Russian
Christmas Peppermint Mudslide
- 3 oz Baileys
- 2 oz almond milk
- 1 oz peppermint schnapps
- 3 oz heavy cream
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- whipped cream
- chocolate syrup
- peppermint candy canes crushed
- In a cocktail shaker, add baileys, almond milk, vodka, cocoa powder, heavy cream, and chocolate syrup.
- Shake until well mixed.
- Pour mixture into cocktail glass. (I drizzled chocolate syrup inside the glass before adding cocktail mix.)
- Optional: Top with whipped cream, chocolate syrup, and/or crushed candy canes.