October is National Dessert Month and I have teamed up with my good friend over at Disney Pink Adventures to bring you a Disney inspired dessert each week for the month of October. All the dessert recipes over the next 4 weeks are super festive but simple and fun to make.
First up, we made these adorable Toy Story Alien Cupcakes. The base of the cupcake is made with homemade funfetti batter topped with green-dyed vanilla frosting. The alien faces are made using sour patch straws/rope, chocolate chips, and candy eyes.
The cupcakes will take you about 35 minutes to make and decorations will take about 10-15 minutes. Please remember to let your cupcakes cool completely before attempting to decorate the faces or else you will have droopy aliens.
Toy Story Alien Cupcakes
- 1⅔ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup vanilla yogurt
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup green sprinkles
- 1 container Vanilla Frosting I used Betty Crocker Rich and Creamy Vanilla frosting
- 4 drops green dye food coloring put in separate bowl to make for easier mixing into the frosting
Alien Face decorations
- 12 chocolate chips for the mouth
- 36 candy eyes
- 1 pkg sour apple green candy straws for the antenna
- 1 pkg sour apple green candy rope for the ears
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk butter and sugars until mixture is gritty. Chill in the fridge for about 1 minute.
- In the same bowl as the sugar mixture, beat egg, yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick.
- Gently fold in the green sprinkles but avoid overmixing.
- Spoon the batter into the liners and bake for 17-20 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Spoon the container of frosting into a medium bowl.
- Drop a few drops of food coloring into the frosting and stir. Repeat until you get the pale color green you desire for the aliens.
Alien face decorations
- Use 3 candy eyes and place them in the top middle of the cupcake.
- Use a chocolate chip for the mouth. Insert pointed tip down into the cupcake near the middle of the bottom.
- Cut the candy straws into smaller pieces for the antennas. Place the antennas above the eyes.
- Cut the candy ropes into triangle pieces for the ears and place them on each side of the cupcake.