Kellogg’s PopTarts were a staple in my house growing up. My mom would let us have them often, but never the really good kind. My brother and I would never get to eat the s’mores or brown sugar cinnamon flavors, it was always blueberry or strawberry (you know so at least they were a little healthy)!
Since I have so much extra time on my hands during quarantine, I’ve been in the kitchen to bake/cook more for my blog and social media pages. I had some left over refrigerated pie crusts from another recipe and it makes the perfect base for homemade PopTarts. I know how difficult making your own dough can be and who doesn’t like simplified steps in recipes?
When I made these PopTarts, I used Strawberry and Raspberry fruit spread. You can fill the PopTarts with whatever flavored preserves or fruit spread you want. I recommend getting the glass jars from the jelly aisle, those work the best for this recipe.
If you don’t have an air fryer, put the PopTarts in the oven or toaster oven and cook them until browned. In my opinion, the air fryer works the best because you get the flakiest crust. These homemade PopTarts only took about 20 minutes total to make.
While the PopTarts are cooking, make your icing. The icing is made using powdered sugar, butter, vanilla extract and heavy cream. I used food coloring to dye the frosting. I used one dot red for strawberry and one dot purple for raspberry.
If you make these homemade PopTarts, please let me know! Leave a comment or tag me on Instagram @thathangrygurl.
- Air Fyrer or oven/toaster oven
- 1 pkg refrigerated pie crusts comes with 2 per package
- 6 tbsp fruit spread or preservatives of your choice I chose strawberry and raspberry
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cut each crust into equal-sized rectangles. (I used a pizza cutter. You can also combine the leftover dough, re-roll it out, and then cut more rectangles)
- Place 1 tablespoon of fruit spread in the center of half of the rectangles. spread the jam out to within 1/4 inch of the edge.
- Use your finger to moisten the outside of each pie crust with water.
- Top each filling rectangle with another pastry rectangle. Press the seams together and fork the edges so they stay together.
- Preheat your air fryer or oven to 350°F. Open up the air fryer and spray the basket with cooking spray. Place two of the PopTarts in the basket.
- Cook the PopTarts for about 10 minutes or until browned.
- Repeat with remaining pop tarts.
- While the PopTarts are cooking, make the icing. In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, heavy cream, butter, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Spread the cooled PopTarts with frosting and sprinkles. Let the frosting harden and enjoy!