It’s chai season baby! I love this time of year! I love seeing all my foodie friends sharing fall recipes and busting out the holiday spices. My mini chai muffins with vanilla glaze are such soft and delicious. They are a great addition to your holiday treats and only take 20 minutes to whip up.
When I went shopping for the ingredients to make these chai muffins, I went to multiple grocery stores. I couldn’t believe that the 3 grocery stores I went to didn’t carry it. So, ultimately, I had to make my own. Making your own chai spice mix isn’t difficult. It requires 6 spices (which you might already have in your pantry).
Make Your Own Chai Spice Mix
The spices you should grab to make your own chai spice mix is:
- 3 tbsp ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp ground Allspice
- 1 tbsp ground Cardamom
- 1/2 tbsp ground Clove
- 1 tbsp ground Ginger
- 1/2 tbsp ground Nutmeg
NOTE: The measurements will make enough spice mix for the entire holiday season and beyond!
These chai muffins with vanilla glaze dont have to be mini when you make them. The recipe will make enough batter to have about 6-8 regular size muffins. But who doesn’t love a good bite-sized dessert. And let’s be honest, mini muffins are just too darn cute. (The mini muffin tin I used was the Wilton Advance Select Premium Nonstick 24-Cup Mini Muffin Pan)
The Vanilla Glaze for the Muffins
These chai muffins can be made with or without the vanilla glaze. However, I suggest you indulge in the glaze. The chai flavor mixed with the smooth vanilla glaze, will leave you reaching for more. It’s that good! Plus the vanilla glaze is too simple to make to skip. It is only powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk and takes like 2 minutes to make.
Mini Chai Muffins with Vanilla Glaze | 20 minute
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp chai spice mix
- ½ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil or any oil of your choice
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 3 tsp milk
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line your muffin tin with liners or spray with cooking spray.
- In a bowl mix together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and chai spice.
- In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: yogurt, milk, oil, syrup, vanilla and egg.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together until combined.
- Fill the muffin tin evenly and bake for 10-12 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center to see if it comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in the pan before moving to a cooling rack.
- While the muffins are cooling, prepare the vanilla glaze.
- Whisk the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract until smooth. Add more milk to thin out the consistency if desired.
- Dip the muffins into the glaze and let them sit until the glaze has hardened.